Wednesday 10 October 2018

I don't normally get involved with the celebrations for Fiestas Patrias or the national holidays. Reason being, I feel nowadays there is little independence to refer to. I always wonder how the native people in our country feel during these celebrations.  But let’s face it; it is a great opportunity to have a relaxing time. I used to go to barbeques with friends or house parties but I never enjoyed going to fondas in Santiago because I always found them over-crowded and over-priced. In fact the only fonda I ever really enjoyed was 15 or 18 years ago (hahahha) when I went to Algarrobo. I went with my darling husband, a British friend of his, Karen, and a very good Chilean friend of mine, Claudio. Connie, Claudio’s girlfriend at the time, was there too. Claudio's parents have a house in Algarrobo and we went to stay there for a couple of days. It was great being near the beach and getting some fresh sea air. Also, the weather was warm and sunny during the daytime and not too cold in the evenings.
The fonda was on the main road leading into Algarrobo and we went twice on consecutive evenings. There were lots of people but the atmosphere was friendly. We did the typical things like play some games, eat empanadas and drink chicha. There was music and people dancing cueca. Later on we drank piscolas and danced (shuffled about!!) to cumbias.
We all enjoy our national holiday for different reasons, I suppose.
Write about a Fiestas Patrias celebration you remember:
Say:
When it was,
What you did,
Who you were with,
Why you enjoyed it.
or you can approach it from another angle:

What is being Chilean?
How Chilean are you?
Why do you think all this nationalism  arises?

Mention anything else you think is interesting. Write at least 220 words. Leave a comment on your teacher’s blog and my blog and  of 2 classmates.

13 comments:

  1. all the people talk about going to carob for the national holidays, I think next year I will go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that fondas are over-crowded:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fondas are better in region.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tickets of Fondas aren´t so expensive, but the price of the food inside is absurd. I prefer to eat before to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about going to celebrate the national holidays in Algarrobo for next year! It seems that you had a nice time there

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never went to a fonda in santiago, but i can imagine how many people go

    ReplyDelete
  7. fondas are expensive and overrated, and weather doesn´t help to enjoy the fondas, especially in Temuco :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. i Like to celebrate Fiestas Patrias with all my family and some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that 18 of september are much overrated because the real date of the independence of chile is February12TH.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fondas in Algarrobo are not like you lived that anymore :(, now you could be with luck if you get out of there with all of your things hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never went to the fonda in Algarrobo, bit now I wabt to go here to clebrate the next year, the holiday in that place sound great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not like very much the national holidays, but I think that they are very good excuse to share with your friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my national holidays until last year, have always been crazy.

    ReplyDelete